The Civil Service Disability Network (CSDN) connects different disability organisations across the Civil Service. Most of the membership consists of the chair or vice chair of these individual networks.
In December 2015 it had 65 representatives, at various grades, from 40 departments and agencies.
Established in 2000 by disabled civil servants and those with an interest in disability policy in the Civil Service, the network aims to:
- be the first port of call for advice and support about disability issues in the Civil Service
- look at the barriers facing people with disabilities and to suggest ways in which these and related concerns can changed
- improve the levels of attainment and working conditions of people with disabilities in the Civil Service
- increase the proportion of people with disabilities working in the Civil Service at all levels
- contributes to the Civil Service’s diversity agenda. We provide advice and information to support policy development by engaging as and when necessary with other bodies to inform and change working practices
- responds as required to consultations
- proactively represent disabled staff on cross-Civil Service groups, working groups and in other meetings
- act as a link between senior managers and people with disabilities
- promotes equal opportunities and diversity across the Civil Service
- provides advice and support and a forum for cross-network dialogue on disability issues
Support for individuals
We don't have individual members of CSDN and are unable to advise or support individual members of staff. We believe this is something that is best done locally and we encourage everyone to become a member of their own organisation's Disabled Employee Network.
We are sure your local network will welcome you into membership, and will be able to offer you all the support or advice and signposting that you need. However if you are having difficulty finding out who to contact and need us to put you into contact with your organisation's own local network, please do get in touch.
Establishing your own disabled employee network
If there isn’t already a disabled employee network in your organisation, we will be very happy to help you establish one and support you to help it grow.