Did you know, if you work for central government and buy goods or services, by 2020, £1 in every £3 you spend has to go small businesses? You will find this commitment in your Single Departmental Plans.
Small businesses make a huge contribution to our economy and account for over 99% of all private sector businesses. Over the last six years, over 2.7 million jobs have been created and almost a million new businesses have been launched.
Meeting the target would mean an extra £3 billion of new business up for grabs for small businesses, the lifeblood of the UK economy.
Why work with small businesses?
Small businesses can provide:
- innovation – brand new solutions with the potential to revolutionise the way you are working;
- specialist services – small businesses often specialise in one service or product; it's likely you’ll work with a leading expert; and
- value for money – it's a myth that small businesses can’t compete on price.
What can government buyers do?
To help you meet the 2020 target, you can:
- make sure your procurement evaluation criteria are small-business-friendly – if you have any concerns, add a question so that small businesses can address your concerns;
- focus on the desired outcome rather than prescribing the service you want – his will mean small businesses can show how they can provide a solution;
- reach out to small businesses – hold a 30-minute webinar to answer questions on your contract; Crown Commercial Service can help you set this up and promote it on social media;
- advertise the opportunity on Contracts Finder for free! – thousands of small businesses are registered there.
Visit gov.uk/openforbusiness for more information. If you don’t find what you need, email the Crown Commercial Service team with any further questions firstname.lastname@example.org.