The Cross Government Parent Network is a voluntary, staff-run, organisation.
It brings together parent networks across government departments and agencies to support civil servants on matters related to parenting and caring for children, pregnancy and maternity, fostering and adoption.
It engages departmental and agency-level parent networks to promote information sharing across government. It encourages joined-up support and influencing; for example, through a common voice with senior leaders in Civil Service HR and Diversity & Inclusion.
Vision and aims
To promote a diverse and inclusive Civil Service through increased awareness and understanding of the issues for parents and expectant parents, foster carers and adopters.
To work together as a set of parent networks to raise the profile of parenting issues and guardianship across the Civil Service and share information, good practice and guidance.
Initiatives in development
- Engagement with Civil Service HR on its policy work on parenting, guardianship and maternity, fostering and adoption, particularly to contribute insights and understanding from parents across departments.
- A virtual coffee series to support parents with balancing work, childcare demands and wellbeing during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
- A blog to publicise the insights from the coffee series and what we have been hearing from parents about how they are managing.
- Events to role-model leaders who are parents and can talk openly about the challenges and opportunities around juggling work, childcare and wellbeing.
- Creating effective working links with parent networks and other relevant networks that are not currently members.
Network meetings are currently held monthly to enhance information sharing during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Copies of the minutes of meetings are available on request.
If you would like to find out more about the Cross Government Parent Network please contact